Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bridges

Robb proposed to me on a concrete bridge over a canal near my house in California. It was covered with graffiti and the house across the street was once the center of a huge drug bust and shooting that made the news in our little down. It wasn't exactly the romantic situation that Robb had in mind. He actually had a picture perfect event planned out. It was on a bridge at the gazebo in the park 25 minutes from my home. Robb wasn't one for sappy romance but I remember that night he really tried to build the moment. It was late and he talked about the stars and our relationship. (I had no idea what he was building the moment for)...in the mist of our conversation the park police came and told us it was curfew and we needed to leave the park. While trying to hurry off the bridge I got my shoe caught in a railing and fell flat on my back in the pond. Let's just say it ruined the moment. After we got in the car Robb was on a quest for another bridge. I led him to one over a road, it didn't fit his purposes (again I had no idea what he was trying to do, instead I kept thinking "This poor city boy has never seen a bridge!" Well in sarcasm, after driving around in the dark (and because I was cold and wet), I led Robb to the concrete bridge by my house. We got out and he wanted to sit. I talked about the shooting and we studied graffiti. Then knowing the romance was gone Robb just decided to get on with things. He told me to look one way on the bridge and think about our past (we had known each other for 5 years) then he told me to look down the other way and think about our future. He then got down on one knee and opened the ring box...My ring in shaped like a bridge with one single diamond in the middle (the diamond is turned sideways in what is called a "star setting"). He talked about that now we were bridging our relationship and like the diamond Christ should be the center. Then he asked the question and of course I said "YES".
Well, bridges have become a theme in our marriage. This last week we attended a conference where this statement was made:
Instead of lightening the load, we should be strengthening bridges!
It was profound for both of us. It meant that often we want to lighten the load, instead of doing what is necessary. We want the easy way, the short cut, instead of learning what we need too. We need to be living all aspects of the gospel. Instead of asking for less we should be building on what we have. In a relationship we should be strengthening each other.
This father's day I am grateful for the greatest man in my life. I am grateful for bridges, they are what brought us together and will get us to where we both desire to be. I hope we all are strengthening bridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment